Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Beef Stroganoff

Mmmmm....no pictures because I was too busy eating - that and I lost my phone (which is my only picture taking device).  Seriously delicious.


1/2 lb meat (beef tips, ground beef/lamb, etc.)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. fat of choice (tallow, lard, coconut oil)
3 carrots, diced small
1/4 onion, diced small
3 garlic gloves, diced small
2 cup stock
1 cup red wine (something worth drinking)
1/4 cup creme fresh/sour cream
2 tsp. flour/cornstarch for GF
1 bay leaf
Salt
Pepper

2 cups cooked pasta, potatoes, or rice


Directions
  1. Brown seasoned beef in a pan of hot oil; once fully cooked spoon out beef and set aside.
  2. Add beef tallow/fat to the pan.  When fat is hot add aromatics and sweat until translucent.
  3. Add high quality stock and red wine and bay leaf.  Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer until reduced.  (I reduced mine for about 15 minutes - I was in a hurry.)
  4. Whisk in flour until liquid thickens.  Add ground beef back into the pan and mix in creme fresh/sour cream.
  5. Serve beef sauce over your starch.  Oh my goodness.
I've never cooked with red wine before - especially in sauce form.  Sammit and I don't drink - so we never have wine in the house - but this bottle has been hanging out since we received it as a wedding gift.  We'll be having wine in the house from this point forward.  

You could also add mushrooms to this sauce - they would be wonderful!  I just didn't have any.


I licked the bowl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment