Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sausage Soup

4 Sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces (we used Costco’s Apple/Gouda Chicken Sausages)
2 Large potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 Medium onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can of chicken broth/stock (we were out of bone broth so I used a can of Swanson)
1 can of diced tomatoes in their juices (we used a quart if home canned tomatoes)
1/4 cup red lentils (optional, we had some...I threw them in to see what happened)
1 (or 2) Tbs. butter (we used delicious Kerry Gold Pasture Butter, which has a richer taste, imo).
2 pressed cloves of garlic
A few sprinkles of red pepper flakes
A few sprinkles of salt & white pepper
1 bay leaf (pulled out before serving)
2 sprigs of fresh oregano (on the stem, pulled out before serving - use a tsp of dry otherwise)
1 sprig of fresh thyme (on the stem, pulled out before serving - use 1/2 tsp of dry otherwise)

Also, I would've loved to put some carrots or turnips in here, but alas, we had none.  I think the carrots in particular would enhance the flavor.
Throw it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. While I enjoyed this out of the pot, I couldn’t get enough of it on the second day when I took it for lunch. By the time I thought about taking a picture I was slurping down the last few drops of golden buttery broth.  I will try to remember next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment